Week 2

What have you learned about the people and culture of Belize?

I have learned, through discussion at the conference, that parents in Belize believe that education is meant for the classroom and parents aren't expected to be involved in the learning process. This is completely different than what we expect in the United States. It is an expectation that Belizean teachers seem eager to change. We discussed the lesson that we presented in our mock classroom and the participants of the conference loved the idea because the students have the opportunity to bring their work home and practice similar skills at home with their parents. I was so impressed with the conversations and ideas that I overheard throughout the conference. If the ideas that were shared at this conference are taught to teachers in the schools around Belize, then I am confident that teaching methods will improve all over.

What have you learned about yourself?

This week has gone by faster than any week so far. I have always known that I like activity and to be busy all the time. This week made me realize how much I like to be in action and I know this is a quality that could either make me a bad or a good teacher. I know that my restlessness could be a negative quality, but my love for hands-on experiences could also be a positive one.

How will this impact you as a teacher?

I like hands-on experiences because that is how I best learn. I remember information best when I get to explore the information in depth. This will impact me as a teacher because I will come up with activities that will allow children to explore. I want the children I teach to be allowed to be creative and explore areas that they are interested in. I believe it is best for children to have some independence in their learning so they can find what they are truly interested in. Hands-on activities allow for discovery in childrens' learning.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The First Couple Days...

Week 3

Week 1